NEURO OPHTHALMOLOGY CLINIC
Neuro-ophthalmology is an ophthalmic subspecialty that addresses the relationship between the eye and the brain, specifically disorders of the optic nerve, orbit, and brain, associated with visual symptoms. Neuro-ophthalmologists provide comprehensive clinical care to a broad spectrum of patients with visual disturbance from optic nerve diseases, central nervous system disorders, ocular motility dysfunction, and pupillary abnormalities.
Typical conditions treated in this department:
Aravinds neuro ophthalmology services are available at Madurai, Tirunelveli,Coimbatore and Pondicherry. An advanced neuro ophthalmic care named Optic Nerve Sheath Decompression is available at Aravind for the treatment of Chronic Papilledema not responding to medical therapy. Papilledema is condition where there is swelling of the optic nerve sheath due to increase in the intra cranial pressure.
- Optic nerve disorders, such as optic neuritis
- Ischemic optic neuropathy
- Compressive optic neuropathies
- Hereditary Neuropathies like Leber's optic neuropathy
- Visual field defects related to stroke or MS
- Early diagnosis of Brain tumors presenting with papilledema
- Double vision from ocular motor nerve palsies
- Myasthenia gravis
- Thyroid eye disease
- Orbital tumors