What will you learn?
- The program is designed to train the next generation of academic leaders in the fields of Retina by providing a rich academic environment with multiple research opportunities and career mentorship support.
- The fellow will learn to thoroughly evaluate a case with good clinical skills, appropriate use of investigational modalities, thereby enabling correct diagnosis and management of the patient.
- A hands-on approach in training will familiarise the candidate with all therapeutic options in medical and surgical retina.
- The institute has a rich academic and research based environment. Hence, fellows are expected to take active part in all research activities like clinical trials, retrospective studies, publishing studies and case reports, and presenting in conferences.
Good communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to work as a team
Open to work for long hours
Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai
Dr. Naresh Babu, DNB
Aravind Eye Hospital, Tirunelveli
Dr. Syed Mohideen Abdul Khadar, MS
Aravind Eye Hospital, Coimbatore
Dr. V.R. Saravanan, DO, DNB
Aravind Eye Hospital, Pondicherry
Dr. Manavi D. Sindal, MS
Aravind Eye Hospital, Chennai
Dr. Anand Rajendran, DNB, FRCS
Sri Venkateswara Aravind Eye Hospital, Tirupati
Dr. Y.C. Venugopal Reddy, MS
Aravind Eye Hospital, Salem
Dr. B. Manohar Babu, MS
- Qualified Postgraduates (MS/MD/DNB), below the age of 36
- The objective of this programme is to train ophthalmologiststo be competent vitreoretina specialists – in the diagnosis and management of retinal diseases through clinical evaluation and research.
- The fellows will be competent in use of all diagnostic modalities in retina like fundus fluorescein angiography, Indocyanine green angiography, optical coherence tomography, ultrasonography and electro diagnosis.
- The programme provides comprehensive training in both medical retina and vitreo-retinal surgery.
- Fellows will participate in the evaluation and management of patients with medical retinal disorders such as Age-related Macular Degeneration, Diabetic Retinopathy, retinal vascular disorders, central serous retinopathy, ocular inflammation, retinal degeneration etc., They will gain extensive experience in laser photocoagulation of retina and use of various intravitreal drugs.
- Fellows will obtain extensive training in vitreo-retinal surgery. This will include pre-operative, intra-operative and post-operative considerations. This training will include all currently employed methods of vitreo-retinal surgery. They will observe numerous complex surgical procedures like repair of retinal detachment by scleral buckling or pars plana vitrectomy with internal tamponade; complex diabetic vitrectomies with membrane surgery; macular surgeries like epiretinal membrane, macular hole; management of trauma with intraocular foreign bodies etc., They will gain experience in managing endophthalmitis medically as well as surgically. The trainees will perform surgical procedures independently, initially in a stepwise manner and later the entire procedure.