Dr. George Varghese Puthuran
Chief, Glaucoma Services
Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai
George V Puthuran, graduated in medicine from Govt. Medical College, Kottayam and MS in Ophthalmology from Aravind Eye Hospital & Post Graduate Institute of Ophthalmology, Madurai. He joined Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai as a full time consultant in 1999 and currently heads the department of Glaucoma. He is actively involved in teaching and training residents, fellows and practicing ophthalmologists. His area of research interest is in the use of Glaucoma Drainage Device in refractory glaucoma. He worked closely with Aurolab, the manufacturing wing of Aravind Eye Care System in the evolution and widespread use of an affordable aqueous drainage implant, and has extensively published on its safety and efficacy outcomes.
- Puthuran GV, Palmberg P, Wijesinghe HK, Krishnadas SR, Robin A. Intermediate-Term Outcomes of an Affordable Aqueous Drainage Implant in Adults with Refractory Glaucoma. Ophthalmology Glaucoma. 2019 ;2:258-266.
- Puthuran GV, Palmberg PF, Wijesinghe HK, Pallamparthy S, Krishnadas SR, Robin AL. Intermediate-term outcomes of Aurolab aqueous drainage implant in refractory paediatric glaucoma. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 2020 Jul;104(7):962-966. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2019-314399.
- Babu N, Baliga G, Wijesinghe HK, Puthuran GV. Intermediate-term outcomes of pars plana tube insertion of Aurolab aqueous drainage implant for refractory glaucoma. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 2020 ;104:1293-1297.
- Puthuran GV, Palmberg PF, Wijesinghe HK, Shreya TS, Krishnadas SR, Gedde SJ, Robin AL. Comparison of outcomes between Aurolab aqueous drainage implant placed in the superotemporal versus inferonasal quadrant. British Journal of Ophthalmology.2021 ;105:521-525.
- Puthuran GV, Palmberg P, Wijesinghe HK, Srivastav KS, Krishnadas SR, Lee Robin A. Aurolab Aqueous Drainage Implant With and Without Scleral Patch Graft in Refractory Adult and Pediatric Glaucomas: A Comparative Study. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 2020 Aug;216:226-236. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2020.03.022. Epub 2020 Mar 26. PMID: 32222366.
- Puthuran GV, Wijesinghe HK, Gedde SJ, Tara TD, Uduman MS, Krishnadas SR, Lee Robin A, Palmberg P. Incidence and Outcomes of Hypertensive Phase Following Aurolab Aqueous Drainage Implant Surgery in Adults with Refractory Glaucoma. American Journal Ophthalmology. 2021;221:75-82.
- Puthuran GV, Wijesinghe HK, Gedde SJ, Chiranjeevi KP, Mani I, Krishnadas SR, Lee Robin A, Palmberg P. Surgical Outcomes of Superotemporal Versus Inferonasal Placement of Aurolab Aqueous Drainage Implant in Refractory Pediatric Glaucoma. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 2020 Dec 10;224:102-111. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2020.12.003. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33309809.
- Wijesinghe HK, Puthuran GV, Gedde SJ, Pradhan C, Uduman MS, Krishnadas SR, Kannan NB, Robin AL, Palmberg P. Incidence and Outcomes of Suprachoroidal Hemorrhage Following Aurolab Aqueous Drainage Implant in Adult and Pediatric Glaucoma. Journal of Glaucoma.2020 Dec 17; Publish Ahead of Print.doi: 10.1097/IJG.0000000000001761. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33337717.
- Durai I, Pallamparthy S, Puthuran GV , Wijesinghe HK, Uduman MS, Krishnadas SR. et al. Outcomes of Glaucoma Drainage Device Implantation and Trabeculectomy with Mitomycin C in Glaucoma Secondary to Aniridia. American Journal of Ophthalmology. E Pub ahead of print March 15, 2021. DOI: 10.1016/j.ajo.2021.03.008
- Rajamani M, Ramamurthy C, Ramamurthy S, Chaya C, Puthuran G, Kumar S, NayakaA. Outcome of a low-cost glaucoma drainage device with posterior chamber/pars plana insertion of the tube. Eye (Lond). 2020 May 28. [Epub]
- Senthilkumar VA, Krishnadas R, Puthuran GV, Ravichandar A. Early-Onset Glaucoma Manifesting as Buphthalmos in an Infant with Phakomatosis Pigmentovascularis Type IIa. Ophthalmology Glaucoma. 2020 Nov-Dec;3(6):481-483.
- Ratukondla B, Prakash S, Reddy S, Puthuran GV, Kannan NB, Pillai MR. A Rare Case Report of Frank TerHaar Syndrome in a Sibling Pair Presenting With Congenital Glaucoma. Journal of Glaucoma. 2020 Mar;29(3):236-238
- Muralidhar R, Ankush K, Vijayalakshmi P, George VP. Visual outcome and incidence of glaucoma in patients with microspherophakia. Eye (Lond) 2015; 29(3): 350–355.
- Rajendrababu S, Babu N, Sinha S, Balakrishnan V, Vardhan A, Puthuran GV, et al. A Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Outcomes of Cataract Surgery in Nanophthalmos With and Without Prophylactic Sclerostomy. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 2017 Nov;183:125–33.
- Duvesh R, Puthuran G, Srinivasan K, Rengaraj V, Krishnadas SR, Rajendrababu S, Balakrishnan V, Ramulu P, Sundaresan P. Multiplex Cytokine Analysis of Aqueous Humor from the Patients with Chronic Primary Angle Closure Glaucoma. Current Eye Research.2017 ;42(12):1608-1613.
- Senthil S, Dada T, Das T, Kaushik S, Puthuran GV, Philip R, et al. Neovascular glaucoma – A review. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2021 Mar;69(3):525–34.
- Puthuran GV, Wijesinghe HK, Kannan NB. Pars Plana Tube Insertion of Glaucoma Drainage Device. Journal of Glaucoma. 2019 Jun 3.
- Raj P, Naveen R, Puthuran GV. Tube in Sulcus in a Post-Therapeutic Penetrating Keratoplasty Phakic Eye. Ophthalmology Glaucoma. 2020;3(4):252.
- Sathvik N ,Pillai MR, George, V , Cassandra T, Robin AL. Waste Generated during Glaucoma Surgery: a comparison of two global facilities. American Journal of Ophthalmology Case Reports.2018;12:87-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajoc.2018.10.002
- Rakhi Mehta, George V Puthuran, Krishnadas, R, Mahalakshmi, Rajendran. Efficacy of Transsleral Diode Laser Cyclophotocoagulation for Refractory in a South Indian Population.Asian J Ophthalmol. 2006;8:232-236.
- Recurrent Scleral Patch Graft Melt and Tube Exposure in a Young Male Patient of Presumed Ocular Sarcoidosis and Developmental Glaucoma Hiruni K. Wijesinghe, , George V. Puthuran, ,and Rengaraj Venkatesh Cover Image Journal of Glaucoma , August 2020
- A Sinking Pearl – Hiruni K. Wijesinghe, George V. Puthuran, and K. NareshBabu, Cover Image Journal of Glaucoma, Jan 2021
- Iris nodules in Cogan Reese Syndrome – Shilpa More, Naveen Radhakrishnan, George Varghese Puthuran Cover Image Ophthalmology Glaucoma, May 2021
- Practical Perimetry, Jaypee Brothers – Shibal Bhartiya, George V Puthuran, Murali Ariga, Ronnie George
- “Evolution of an affordable aqueous drainage implant – the Indian story “One of 3 winning films at the 5th World Glaucoma Congress, Vancouver, Canada, July 17-23
- “ An affordable GDD for the developing world” – Best Video at the Annual Glaucoma Society of India conference at Indore, Sept 2013
- “Tube Complications”- First runner up, Surgical Video Competition at the 22nd American Glaucoma Society meeting, March 1-4, 2012; New York.
- ” Out Comes the Buckle & In Goes the Plate … “- First runner up, Surgical Video Symposium, February 27, 2015; American Glaucoma Society 2015 Meeting, Coronado, CA.