Dr. Haripriya Aravind
Chief, Intraocular Lens & Cataract Services
Aravind Eye Hospital, Chennai
Dr. Haripriya Aravind did her post-graduation at Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai and started her career as a paediatric ophthalmologist. She was the head of cataract and IOL services at Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai for over a decade and currently heads the cataract clinic at Aravind Eye Hospital, Chennai. In addition, she oversees the paramedical training at the hospital and is involved in camp activities. Her area of interest is quality assurance amongst patients undergoing cataract surgery. She has developed systems and tools to monitor outcomes following cataract surgery.
Dr. Haripriya has published several research papers in peer reviewed International and State Journals.
- Shorstein NH, Montan P, Haripriya A, Lundstr¨om M, Herrinton L. Three Learning Organizations in Cataract Surgery: The Example of Intracameral Antibiotic Injection. Perm J. 2021;25:20.274
- Engelhard SB, Haripriya A, Namburar S, Pistilli M, Daniel E, Kempen JH. Dropped Nucleus during Cataract Surgery in South India: Incidence, Risk Factors, and Outcomes. Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2021 May 12:1-8. [Epub]
- Shekhar M, Lamba P, Haripriya A, Ravindran S, Palod S, Mishra C, Sundar B, Sen S.Acute Postoperative Endophthalmitis after re-surgery following primary cataract surgery, 9 years of experience from a tertiary eye care center. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2021 Jan 21. [Epub]
- Gupta S, Haripriya A, Ravindran RD, Thulasiraj RD. Differences Between Male and Female Residents in Case Volumes and Learning in cataract surgery. J Surg Edu. 2021 Jan 8. [Epub]
- Ravindran RD, Gupta S, Haripriya A, Ravilla T, Vardhan SA, Subburaman GB. Seven-year trends in cataract surgery indications and quality of outcomes at Aravind Eye Hospitals, India. Eye. 2020 Sep 10. [Epub]
- Haripriya A, Sweekruthi GK, Mani I, Chang DF. Comparison of surgical repositioning rates and outcomes for hydrophilic vs hydrophobic single piece acrylic toric IOLs. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2020 Sep 7. [Epub]
- Haripriya A, Ramulu PY, Schehlein EM, Shekhar M, Chandrashekharan S, Narendran K, Venkatesh R, Sithiq M, Ramakrishnan R, Ravindran RD, Robin AL. The Aravind Pseudoexfoliation Study (APEX): 5-year Post-Operative Results. The Effect of IOL Choice and Capsular Tension Rings. Am J Ophthalmol. 2020 Jul 1. [Epub]
- Reddy JC, Vaddavalli PK, Sharma N, Sachdev MS, Rajashekar YL, Sinha R, Agarwal A, Porwal A, Chakrabarti A, Nayak BK, Jain BK, Chandrasekhar D, Ramamurthy C, Mehta CK, Bhattacharya D, Luthra G, Aravind H, Bhattacharjee H, Mehta HR, Titiyal JS, Ram J, Bhalla JS, Dasari KK, Mehta KR, Kudlu KP, Prasad RK, Murugesan K, Singh MJ, Rajan M, Rohit OP, Gogate P, Biswas P, Padmanabhan P, Parekh RH, Khanna R, Honavar SG, Murthy SI, Goel S, Ganesh S, Arora VK. A new normal with cataract surgery during COVID-19 pandemic. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2020;68:1269-1276.
- Gupta S, Haripriya A, Vardhan S A, Thulasiraj RD, Ravindran RD, Madhu Shekhar. Visual Acuity Outcomes in Resident-Performed Manual Small-Incision Cataract Surgery. Ophthalmology. 2019;126:764-765.
- Haripriya A, Ramulu PY, Shivkumar C, Venkatesh R, Kalpana N, Madhu Shekhar, Ramakrishnan R, Ravindran RD, Robin AL. Aravind Pseudoexfoliation Study (APEX) – Surgical and First Year Postoperative Results in Eyes without Phacodonesis and Non-Miotic Pupils. Ophthalmology. 2019;126:362-371.
- Haripriya A, Chang DF, Ravindran RD. Endophthalmitis Reduction with Intracameral Moxifloxacin in Eyes with and without Surgical Complications: Results from 2 million consecutive cataract surgeries. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2019;45:1226-1233.
- Haripriya A, Eliza A. Managing cataract surgery in patients with uveitis. Community Eye Health. 2018;31:82-83.
- Gupta S, Haripriya Aravind, Ashok Vardhan, S, Thulasiraj, R D, Ravindran, R D. Residents’ Learning Curve for Manual Small-Incision Cataract Surgery at Aravind Eye Hospital, India. Ophthalmology. 2018;125:1692-1699.
- Ehrlich JR, Frank, C, Smiley, J, Le, H G, Joseph, S, Schilling, S G, Stagg, B C, Stein, J D, Ravindran, R D, Haripriya Aravind. Development of a Rapid Point-of-care Patient Reported Outcome Measure for Cataract Surgery in India. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2018;16:25.
- Haripriya Aravind, Chang DF. Intracameral Antibiotics during Cataract Surgeyr: evidence and barriers. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2018;29:33-39.
- Prakadeeswari G, Haripriya Aravind, Sundaresan P. MTHFR and MTHFD1 Gene Polymorphisms are not Associated with Pseudoexfoliation Syndrome in South Indian Population. Int Ophthalmol. 2018;38:599-606.
- Haripriya Aravind, Hemant S, Thulasiraj RD. Changing Techniques in Cataract Surgery: how have patients benefited. Community Eye Health. 2017;30:80-81.
- Michelotti M, De Korne DF, Weizer, J S, Lee, P P, Flanagan, D, Kelly, S P, Odergren, A, Sandhu, S S, Wai, C, Klazinga, N, Haripriya Aravind, Stein, J D, Hingorani, M. Mapping Standard Ophthalmic Outcome Sets to Metrics Currently Reported in Eight Eye Hospitals. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17:269
- Haripriya Aravind. Antibiotic Prophylaxis in Cataract Surgery – An Evidence-Based Approach. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2017;65:1390-1395.
- Haripriya Aravind, Zervin RB, Chang DF. Endophthalmitis Prophylaxis for Cataract Surgery. Asia Pac J Ophthalmol. 2017;6:324-329.
- Aung T, Ozaki, M, Lee, M C, Scholtzer-Schrehardt, U, Thorleifsson, G, Mizoguchi, T, Igo Jr., R P, Haripriya Aravind. Genetic Association Study of Exfoliation Syndrome Identifies a Protective Rare Variatn at LOXL1 and Five New Susceptibility Loci. Nat Genet. 2017;49:993-1004.
- Haripriya Aravind. Resident Training: the Aravind experience. Review Ophthalmol. 2017:68-71.
- Ashok Vardhan S, Haripriya Aravind, Banushree, R, Ramulu, P, Shivkumar, C, Manas Nath, Prabhu, V, Robin, A L. Association of Pseudoexfoliation with Systemic Vascular Diseases in South Indian Population. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135:348-354.
- Haripriya Aravind, Chang DF, Ravindran RD. Endophthalmitis Reduction with Intracameral Moxifloxacin Prophylaxis: analysis of 600000 Surgeries. Ophthalmology. 2017;124:768-775.
- Haripriya Aravind, Chang, D F, Vijayakumar, B, Niraj, A, Madhu Shekhar, Tanpreet, S, Aravind, S. Long-Term Posterior Capsule Opacification Reduction with Square-Edge Polymethylmethacrylate Intraocular Lens: randomized controlled study. Ophthalmology. 2017;124:295-302.
- Haripriya Aravind, Smita A. A Case of Keratitis Associated with Limbal Relaxing Incision. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2016;64:936-937.
- Haripriya Aravind, Sankalp Sharma S. Retro Iris Suture Fixation of a Rigid Intraocular Lens. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2016;42:1556-1561.
- Haripriya Aravind, Zervin RB, Ravindran RD. Postoperative Cataract Care: the Aravind perspective. Community Eye Health. 2016;29:25-26.
- Le HG, Ehrlich, Joshua R, Venkatesh, R, Aravind, S, Kolli, A, Haripriya Aravind, Ravindran, R D, Thulasiraj, R D, Robin, Alan L, Hutton, David W, Stein, J D. Sustainable Model for Delivering High-Quality, Efficient Cataract Surgery in Southern India. Health Aff. 2016;35:1783-1790.
- Newman-Casey PA, Sathya, R, Haripriya Aravind, Vinoth, P, Manju Pillai, R, Vijayakumar, B, Robin, A L. The Effect of Counseling on Cataract Patient Knowledge, Decisional Conflict, and Satisfaction. Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2015;22:387-393.
- Venkatesh R, Van Landingham SW, Ashish K, Haripriya Aravind, Thiel, Cassandra L, Ramulu, Pradeep, Robin, Alan L. Carbon Footprint and Cost-Effectiveness of Cataract Surgery. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2016;27:82-8.
- Haripriya Aravind, Chang, D F, Namburar, S, Smita, A, Ravindran, R D. Efficacy of Intracameral Moxifloxacin Endophthalmitis Prophylaxis at Aravind Eye Hospital. Ophthalmology. 2016;123:302-8.
- Mahmud IK, Stowell C, Haripriya Aravind, Boman A, Kossler, I, Morlet, N, Pershing, S, Pesudovs, K, Goh, P P, Sparrow, J M, Lundstrom, M. A Proposed Minimum Standard Set of Outcome Measures for Cataract Surgery. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2015; 133:1247-1252.
- Sengupta Sabyasachi, Dhanapal, P, Nath, M, Haripriya Aravind, Venkatesh, R. Goat’s Eye Integrated with a Human Cataractous Lens: a training model for phacoemulsification. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2015;63:275-277.
- Niraj Agrawal, Nimmi Rani, Haripriya Aravind, Puja Bhuwania. Outcome of Refractive IOL Exchange in Traumatic Unilateral Axial Myopia. J Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2015;6:385.
- Dubey SK, Hejtmancik, J F, Krishnadas, R, Sharmila, R, Haripriya Aravind, Sundaresan, P. Evaluation of Genetic Polymorphisms in Cluster in and Tumor Necrosis Factor-Alpha Genes in South Indian Individuals with Pseudoexfoliation Syndrome. Curr Eye Res. 2015;40:1218-1224.
- Niraj Agrawal, Nayak, D P, Haripriya Aravind, Puja Bhuwania. Phacoemulsification with Toric IOL Implantation in Alport Syndrome with Anterior Lenticonus having Spontaneously Ruptured Anterior Capsule. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2015;25:e78-80.
- Aung T, Ozaki, M, Mizoguchi, T, Allingham R R, Li, Z, Haripriya Aravind, Nakano, S, Uebe, S, Ramakrishnan, R, Kalpana, Narendran, Venkatesh, R, Sundaresan, P. A Common Variant Mapping to CACNA1A is Associated with Susceptibility to Exfoliation Syndrome. Nat Genet. 2015;47:387-392.
- Niraj Agrawal, Nayak, D P, Gupta, P, Haripriya Aravind, Puja Bhuwania. Alport Syndrome with Phenotypic Marfanoid Habitus: atypical case series. Eye. 2015;29:443-4.
- Dubey SK, Hejtmancik, J F, Krishnadas, R, Sharmila, R, Haripriya Aravind, Sundaresan, P. Lysyl Oxidase-Like 1 Gene in the Reversal of Promoter Risk Allele in Pseudoexfoliation Syndrome. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2014;132:949-955.
- Haripriya Aravind, Chang, D F, Reena, M, Madhu Shekhar. Complication Rates of Phacoemulsification and Manual Small-Incision Cataract Surgery at Aravind Eye Hospital. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2012;38:1360-1369.
- Haripriya Aravind, Sumara Syed Taranum. A Case of Endophthalmitis Associated with Limbal relaxing Incision. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2012;60:223-225.
- Jeyalakshmi S, Haripriya Aravind, Muthukkaruppan, V R, Kaufman, P L, Tian, B. Cytoskeletal Drugs Prevent Posterior Capsular Opacification in Human Lens Capsule in Vitro. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2012;250:507-14.
- Haripriya Aravind, Tan, Colin S H, Venkatesh, R, Aravind, S, Anand Dev, Eong, Kah-Guan Au.Effect of Preoperative Counseling on Fear from Visual Sensations during Phacoemulsification under Topical Anesthesia. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2011;37:814-818.
- Senthilkumari S, Lalitha, Prajna, Prajna, N Venkatesh, Haripriya Aravind, Nirmal, J, Gupta, P, Velpandian, T. Single and multidose Ocular Kinectics and Stability Analysis of Extemporaneous Formulation of Topical Voriconazole in Humans. Curr Eye Res. 2010;35:953-960.
- Aravind S, Haripriya Aravind, Sumara Syed Taranum. Cataract Surgery and Intraocular Lens Manufacturing in India. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2008;19:60-65.
- Nolette Pereira, Anand Dev, Haripriya Aravind. Herniation of the Anterior Lens Capsule. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2007;55:228-229.
- Haripriya Aravind, Aravind, S, Kavitha Vadi, Natchiar, G. Bimanual Microphaco for Posterior Polar Cataracts. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2006;32:914-917.
- Haripriya Aravind, Lalitha, Prajna, Minu, M Mathen, Prajna NV, Kim, R, Shukla, Dhananjay, Natchiar, G, Srinivasan, M. Nocardia Endophthalmitis after Cataract Surgery: clinicomicrobiological study. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 2005;139:837-846.
- Ensure good preoperative, surgical and postoperative care to patients undergoing cataract surgery
- Focus on safe, high quality and efficient patient care practices
- To foster an environment of academics and research
- CS Reshmi Gold Medal for best Video, All India Ophthalmology Society (AIOS) – 2008
- Film festival winner award for the video of “New Techniques”, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS), Boston – 2010
- Dr. Om Prakash Gold Medal for Excellence, Intraocular Implant and Refractive Society of India (IIRSI), Delhi – 2011
- Best Doctor Award from TN Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai – 2012
- Best paper of session award, All India Ophthalmology Society (AIOS) – 2013
- Dr.MN Award for best paper in cataract surgery, Tamilnadu Ophthalmology Association (TNOA) – 2014
- Dr.C S Grover Oration award from Honourable Governor of Uttarkhand – 2016
- Dr.Ishwarchandra Oration Award, Vidarbha Ophthalmic Society Meeting, Nagpur – 2016
- Dr.MM Joshi Oration Award, Hubli – 2017
- Best paper of session, (Cataract) American Academy of Ophthalmology, New Orleans – 2017
- MN Award for Best paper- Cataract, Tamilnadu Ophthalmology Association (TNOA), Pondy – 2018
- Dr.PR Mandal Oration Award, Ophthalmological Society of West Bengal (OSWB), Kolkata – 2018
- Research Award, Women Ophthalmologist’s Society (WOS), Hyderabad – 2018
- Sante Vision Award- Best Paper in Cataract at All India Ophthalmology Society, Indore – 2019
- Annual Role Model of the Year Award, Women Ophthalmology Society (WOS), Bengaluru – 2019
- Dr Anila Khuteta Oration at the Rajasthan Ophthalmological Society Conference, Jaipur – 2019
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award – 2019
- P Sivareddy International award, All India Ophthalmological Society – 2019
- Obstbaum Award- best paper in JCRS for the year 2019 for the paper ‘Endophthalmitis Reduction with Intracameral Moxifloxacin in Eyes with and without Surgical Complications: Results from 2 million consecutive cataract surgeries’ – 2020