Dr. Usha Kim heads the Department of Orbit, Oculoplasty, Ocular Oncology and Ocular Prosthetics at Aravind Eye Hospitals. After completing her graduation in Medicine from the prestigious PSG Institute of Medicine, Coimbatore, she went on to complete her residency in Ophthalmology at Aravind Eye Hospital. Later she underwent specialized training in field of Orbit and Oculoplasty under the guidance of Dr. William B. Stewart at the University of California, USA.
In 1998, Dr. Usha started the Department of Orbit and Oculoplasty at Aravind Eye Hospital. Under her leadership, this department has become a Centre of Excellence in the treatment of the rarer ocular conditions that have to do with trauma, congenital anomalies and cancers of the eye. This department has become one of the leading units for diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation and research in this field of ophthalmology. In the last 17 years, this clinic has seen over 1 lakhs patients and performed over 52,0000 surgeries – making it one among the largest units for orbit and oculoplasty work in the world. The Department of Orbit and Oculoplasty grew enormously under Dr. Usha’s able leadership and integrated oncology care for the patients as well as started providing custom-made ocular prosthetics. She continues to be a high volume cataract surgeon at Aravind in addition to her surgical expertise in orbit & oculoplasty.
Deeply moved by the plight of hapless patients who discontinue treatment for want of money, Dr. Usha set up the Ring of Hope initiative in 2004, to raise funds for the treatment of eye cancers. Till date, over 3000 patients have been treated free of cost under this programme.
Dr Usha’s unit is also a preferred destination for training in Orbit and Oculoplasty – so far, 58 ophthalmologists have undergone long-term fellowship under her; 19 international fellows have undergone short term training. In addition, 54 ocularists from across the globe have been trained in the technical skills of producing custom-made ocular prosthetics.
In addition to her core clinical work, Dr. Usha Kim is involved in key leadership positions at the Aravind Eye Care System. She is the Director of the Allied Ophthalmic Personnel training programme since 2005. This programme is accredited by JCAHPO, USA. Over the last five years, she has taken up the additional responsibility of overseeing the growing network of Aravind’s primary eye care service, which has 75 centres currently.
Dr Usha is a member of various bodies within and outside Aravind. She is currently the President of Oculoplastic Association of India. Given her interest in Oncology, she is currently involved in genetic research pertaining to Retinoblastoma. She has 57 publications to her credit out of which 34 are in international 23 national journals.
She has also contributed to several books. She has coauthored the Atlas of Imaging in Neuro-ophthalmology and Orbit. She is currently the editor of the Indian Journal of Ophthalmology.
- Abraham A, Thirumalairaj K, Gaikwad N, Muthukkaruppan V, Reddy AG, Thangaraj K, Usha Kim, Vanniarajan A. Retinoblastoma discordance in families with twins. Indian J Ophthalmol 2019;67:436-439.
- Adulkar NG, Shanthi R, Vidhya N, Usha Kim. Invasive sino-orbital fungal infections in immunocompetent patients: a clinico-pathological study. Eye (Lond). 2019;33:988-994.
- Khedekar A, Bharanidharan D, Kim R, Muthukkaruppan V, Usha Kim. Smartphone-based application improves the detection of retinoblastoma. Eye (Lond). 2019;33:896-901.
- Sukhdeep B, Rana NM, Pimple D, Usha Kim R. What may Lie Beneath. Saudi J Ophthalmol. 2017;31:124-125.
- Bains, S, Usha Kim R, Shanthi, R. Orbital Melanoma with Calcification: a diagnostic dilemma. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2016;64:932-934.
- Shanthi, R, Namrata Adulkar, Usha Kim R. Primary Cutaneous Histoplasmosis Mimicking Basal Cell Carcinoma of the Eyelid: a case report and review of literature. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2016;59:227-228
- Lalan Kumar Arya Rathinam, Sivakumar R, Lalitha, Prajna, Usha Kim R, Sudeep, Ghatani, Tandon, Veena.Trematode Fluke Procerovum Varium as cause of Ocular Inflammation in Children, South India. Emerg Infect Dis.2016;22:192-200
- Usha Kim R, Bhagwati, W and Lalitha, Prajna.Primary Canaliculitis: the incidence, clinical features, outcome and long-term epiphora after snip-punctoplasty and curettage. Saudi J Ophthalmol.2015;29:274-277.
- Bain S, Vidhya, N, Usha Kim R, Shanthi, R, Devanand, J. Subcutaneous Dissemination from an Orbital Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma. Orbit. 2015;34:338-339.
- Namrata Adulkar, Vanniarajan, A, Husain, Akram, Jeyaram, I, Thirumalairaj, K, Shanthi, R, Muthukkaruppan, V R, Usha Kim R. Knudson’s Hypothesis Revisited in Indian Retinoblastoma Patients. Asia Pac J Clin Oncol. 2015;11:299-307.
- Thirumalairaj K, Aloysius A Abraham, Bharanidharan, D, Gaikwad, N, Usha Kim R, Muthukkaruppan, V R, Vanniarajan, A.A Stepwise Strategy for Rapid and Cost-Effective RB1 Screening in Indian Retinoblastoma Patients. J Human Genet. 2015;60:547-552.
- Bharanidharan D, Logambiga, P, Thirumalairaj, K, Aloysius A Abraham, Usha Kim R, Muthukkaruppan, V R, Vanniarajan, A.Targeted Next Generation Sequencing of RB1 Gene for the Molecular Diagnosis of Retinoblastoma. BMC Cancer. 2015;15:320.
- Baer AN, DeMarco, M McAdams, Shiboski, S C, Lam, M Y, Challacombe, S, Daniel, T E, Srinivasan, M, Umehara, H, Vivino, F B, Vollenweider, C F, Zhao, Y, Criswell, L A, Shiboski, C H, Sjogren’s International Collaborative Clinical Alliance Research Groups. The SSB-Positive, SSA-Negative Antibody Profile is not Associted with Key Phenotypic Features of Sjogren’s Syndrome. Ann Rheum Dis. 2015;74:1557-15.
- Namrata Adulkar, Arunkumar, M J, Mahesh Kumar, Usha Kim R. Unusual Case of Temporal Dermoid Cyst Presenting as Oculomotor Nerve Palsy. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2014;62:1032-1034.
- Bijnya Panda, Usha Kim R .Complications of Retained Intraorbital Wooden Foreign Body. Oman J Ophthalmol.2014;7:38-39.
- Namrata Adulkar, Usha Kim R, Shashikant Shetty. Superior Oblique Muscle Entrapment in Orbital Fracture Presenting as Acquired Brown-Like Syndrome: a case report and review of literature. Ophthalmic Plas Reconstructive Surgery. 2014; 30:e26-8.
- Namrata Adulkar, Shanthi, R, Vidhya, N, Usha Kim R. RPE Adenocarcinoma as the Presenting Sign of Bronchogenic Carcinoma: diagnostic dilemma in the management of a case. Case Rep Ophthalmol Med. 2013;2013:786378.
- Namrata Adulkar, Shanthi R, Usha Kim R. A Unique Case of Intracorneal Aberrant Lenticular Rest. J AAPOS. 2013;17:326-327.
- Usha Kim R, Kavitha, R Sivaraman. Penetrating Orbital Injuries from Plant Material during Pond and River Diving. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2013;61:76-77.
- Rathinam SR, Arya LM, Usha Kim R, Lalitha, Prajna, Veena Tandon.Novel Etiological Agent: molecular evidence for trematode-induced anterior uveitis in children. Arch Ophthal.2012;130 :1481-1483.
- Gowri Priya C, Arpitha, Parthasarathy, Vaishali, S, Prajna, N Venkatesh, Usha Kim R, Sheetal, K, Muthukkaruppan, V R.Adult Human Buccal Epithelial Stem Cells: identification, ex-vivo expansion, and transplantation for corneal surface reconstruction. Eye. 2011;25:1641-1649.
- Usha Kim R, Vipul Arora, Akash, D Shah, Urvasi Solanki. Clinical Features and Management of Posttraumatic Subperiosteal Hematoma of the Orbit. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2011;59:55-58.
- Usha Kim R, Akash, D Shah, Vipul Arora, Urvasi Solanki. Isolated Optic Nerve Infiltration in Systemic Lymphoma – A Case Report and Review of Literature. Ophthalmic Plas Reconstructive Surgery. 2010;26:291-3.
- Usha Kim R, Akash, D Shah, Shanthi, R, Vipul Arora. Primary T Cell, Histiocyte-Rich Large B-Cell Lymphoma of the Orbit. Ophthalmic Plas Reconstructive Surgery. 2011;27:e31-2.
- Usha Kim R, Hadi, M Khazaei, Bill, Stewart W, Akash, D Shah. Spectrum of Orbital Disease in South India: an Aravind study of 6328 consecutive patients. Ophthalmic Plas Reconstructive Surgery. 2010;26:315-322.
- Usha Kim R, Akash, D Shah, Shanthi, R, Vipul Arora. Primary Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma of the Eyelid. Ophthalmic Plas Reconstructive Surgery. 2010;26:134-136.
- Vipul Arora, Usha Kim R, Shashikant Shetty, Akash, D Shah. Atypical Presentation of an Unusual Foreign Body. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2010;58:338-339.
- Usha Kim R, Vipul Arora, Shanthi, R, Akash, D Shah, Phelps, Paul O. Orbital Hyalinizing Spindle Cell Tumor with Giant Rosettes. Ophthalmic Plas Reconstructive Surgery. 2010;26:30-32.
- Svati Bansal, Usha Kim R. Bilateral Isolated Orbital Neurofibroma. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2010;1-3.
- Rajiniganth MG, Usha Kim R, Mahesh Kumar. Coexistent Optic Neuritis and Isolated Acute Sphenoid Sinusitis. Clinical Rhinology. 2009:47-50.
- Usha Kim R. Multimodality Treatment Approach in Management of Primary Peripheral Primitive Neuroectodermal Tumor of the Orbit. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2009;57:395-398.
- Vipul Arora, Usha Kim R, Hadi, M Khazaei. Delleman Oorthuys Syndrome: oculocerebrocutaneous syndrome. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2009;57:387-389.
- Vipul Arora, Usha Kim R, Hadi, M Khazaei, Shivayogi Kusagur. Ophthalmic Complications Including Retinal Detachment in Hyperimmunoglobulinemia E (Job’s) Syndrome: case report and review of literature. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2009;57:385-386.
- Usha Kim R, Vipul Arora, Shanthi, R, Akash, D Shah. Neglected Giant Atypical Fibroxanthoma of the Eyelid. Ophthalmic Plas Reconstructive Surgery. 2009;25
- Usha Kim R, Vipul Arora, Akash, D Shah, Srinivasan, K G. Ocular Malformation with a Double Globe Appearance. Indian J Radiol Imaging. 2009;19:298-300.
- Rajiniganth, Usha Kim R, Vipul Arora. Xanthoma in the Supraorbital Ethimoid Cell: an unusual lesion at unusual site. Clinical Rhinology. 2008
- Madge SN, Prabhakaran, V C, Shome, D, Usha Kim R, Honavar, S, Selva, D. Orbital Tuberculosis: a review of the literature. Orbit. 2008;27:267-277.
- Nallathambi J, Lessaffre, Corinne, Moumne, Lara, Padaranayaka, swari, Usha Kim R, Krishnaswamy, S, Sundaresan, P, Veita, Reiner A. Differential Functional Effects of Novel Mutations of the Transcription Factor FOXL2 in BPES Patients. Hum Mutat. 2008;29:123-130.
- Nallathambi J, Neethirajan G, Usha Kim R, Jitendra Jethani, Sundaresan, P. FOXL2 mutaions in Indian Families with Bleparophimosis-ptosis-epicanthus inversus Syndrome. J Genetics. 2007;86:165-168.
- Nallathambi J, Moumne, L, De Baere E, Beysen, E, Usha Kim R, Sundaresan, P, Veitia, R A. A Novel polyalanine Expansion in FOXL2: the Forst Evidence for a recessive form of the Blepharophimosis Syndrome (BPES) associated with Ovarian Dysfunction. Hum Genet. 2007;121:107-112.
- Usha Kim R, Smitha, S, Nagendra Shah, Lalitha, Prajna, Rahul Kelkar. Spectrum and the Susceptibilities of Microbial Isolates in Cases of Congenital Nasolacrimal Duct Obstruction. J AAPOS. 2006;10:469-472.
- Vijayalakshmi P, Jitendra Jethani, Usha Kim R. Congenital Unilateral Ocular Fibrosis Syndrome Secondary to Benign Congenial Tumor. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2006;54:123-125.
- Gritz DC, Srinivasan, M, Smith, S D, Usha Kim R, Lietman, T M, Wilkins, J H, Priyadharshini, B, John, R K, Aravind, S, Prajna, N Venkatesh, Thulasiraj, R D, Whitcher, J P. The Antioxidants in Prevention of Cataract Study: effects of antioxidant supplements on cataract progression in South India. Br J Ophthalmol. 2006;90:847-851.
- Gritz DC, Srinivasan, M, Smith, Scott D, Usha Kim R, Lietman, Thomas M, Wilkins, John H, Priyadarshini, Brinda, Aravind, Srinivasan, Prajna, N Venkatesh, Smolin, Gilbert, Thulasiraj, R D, Selvaraj, Sivasubramaniam, Whitcher, John P. Antioxidants in Prevention of Cataracts in South India: methodology and baseline data. Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2006;13:97-107.
- Thakker MM, Usha Kim R. Orbital Foreign Body and Ruptured Globe from Needlefish Impalement. Arch Ophthal. 2006;124:284.
- Mansberger SL, Johnson, Chris A, Cioffi, George A, Choi, Dongseok, Krishnadas, R, Srinivasan, M, Balamurugan, V, Usha Kim R, Smith, Scott D, Wilkins, John H, Gritz, David C. Predictive Value of Frequency Doubling Technology Perimetry for Detecting Glaucoma in a Developing Country. J Glaucoma. 2005;14:128-134.
- Vasumathy V, Kim, R, Ganesan, S, Usha Kim R. Hemiretinal Vein Occlusion Associated with Pseudotumour Orbit: an observational case report. Eye. 2005;19:353-356.
- Rathinam SR, Usha Kim R, Rao, Narsing A. Presumed Trematode-induced Granulomatous Anterior Uveitis: a newly recognized cause of intraocular inflammation in children from South India. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 2002;133:773-779.
Dr. Usha is the President of Oculoplasty Association of India (OPAI).
Dr. Usha is the proud recipient of several major awards, to name a few, Vocational Excellence Award by Rotary Club of Madurai (March 2018); Women’s Day Excellence Award the Lions Club of Madurai Delight District 324-B3 (March 2015) and so on. She has also received numerous academic awards in several conferences. She was the Best Outgoing Student of her school and college. PSG Institute of Medical Sciences, Coimbatore her alma mater, honoured her with a Scroll of Honour in January 2016.