Dr. Saravanan graduated in medicine from Madurai Medical College, D.O from Regional Institute, Chennai, D.N.B from Aravind Eye Hospital, Coimbatore. He is the first vitreoretina fellow of Aravind eye hospital Coimbatore and completed his fellowship in 2002. He immediately joined as a Medical officer and continues to work as a consultant in the retina clinic of Coimbatore till date. He also cleared his FRCS (Glasgow) exam in 2004. He is a life member of the Tamilnadu ophthalmic association, All India ophthalmological society and Vitreoretinal society of India. He has presented various papers and chaired and participated in many instruction courses in national and international conferences.
He also has visited Wilmer eye Institute of Johns, Hopkins University, Baltimore, VitreoMacular Consultants of New York, Harkness Institute of Ophthalmology at Columbia University, New York and Beetham Eye Institute, Joslin diabetes center, Boston as an observer.
Dr. Saravanan has many publications in national and international peer reviewed journals and has also authored chapters in text books.
- Ravindran RD, Sundaresan P, Tiruvengada Krishnan, Vashist P, Maraini G, Saravanan V, Chakravarthy U, Smeeth L, Nitsch D, Young IS, Fletcher AE. Genetic variants in a sodium-dependent vitamin C transporter gene and age-related cataract. Br J Ophthalmol. 2019;103:1223-1227.
- George J Manayath, Ratnesh R, Vanee Sheth Shah, Smita SK, Saravanan VR, Narendran V. Central serous chorioretinopathy: Current update on pathophysiology and multimodal imaging. Oman J Ophthalmol. 2018;11:103-112.
- Manayath GJ, Ranjan R, Smitha SK, Vanee Sheth Shah, Saravanan VR, Narendran V. Central serous chorioretinopathy: Current update on management. Oman J Ophthalmol.2018;11:200-206.
- Anant Bhosale, Sudeep Pujari, Rodney J Morris, Saravanan VR, Narendran V. A rare presentation of vitreous cyst in an adult male. EC Ophthalmol. 2018:9:693-695.
- D’Souza P, Ranjan, R, Upendra Babu, Anuradha, K, Saravanan VR. Inflammatory Choroidal Neovascular Membrane: long-term visual and anatomical outcomes after intravitreal anti-vascular endothelial growth factor therapy. Retina. 2018;38:1307-1315.
- George J Manayath, Shah, Vanee Sheth, Saravanan VR, Narendran, V. Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy Associated with Central Serous Chorioretinopathy: pachychoroid spectrum of diseases. Retina. 2018;38:1195-1204.
- Parag K Shah, Meeralakshmi, P, Shanthi, R, Saravanan VR, Kalpana Narendran, Narendran V. Pigmented Ciliary Body Medulloepithelioma in a Newborn Infant. Oman J Ophthalmol. 2017;10:257-258.
- Smita SK, George, J Manayath, Saravanan VR, Siddharth, N, Narendran, V. Iatrogenic Subretinal Injection of Ozurdex Implant and its Effect on Macular Edema. Oman J Ophthalmol. 2017;10:100-102.
- George J Manayath, Smita, S K, Siddharth, N, Karan, A K, Saravanan VR, Rodney, J Morris, Narendran, V. Low Fluence Photodynamic Therapy versus Graded Subthreshold Transpupillary Thermotherapy for Chronic Central Serous Chorioretinopathy: results from a prospective study. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2017;48:334-338.
- Panikkar K, George J Manayath, Revathy, R, Saravanan VR. Progressive Kertoconus, Retinal Detachment, and Intracorneal Silicone Oil with Obsessive-Compulsive Eye Rubbing. Oman J Ophthalmol. 2016;9:170-173.
- Siddharth N, Saravanan VR, Merlyn, Pereira. Purtscher-Like Retinopathy: a rare complication of peribulbar anesthesia. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2016;64:464-466.
- George, J Manayath, Narendran, V, Sandeep Arora, Rodney, J Morris, Saravanan VR, Parag K Shah. Graded Subthreshold Transpupillary Thermotherapy for Chronic Central Serous Chorioretinopathy. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2012;43:284-290.
- Abhishek Kothari, Narendran, V, Saravanan VR. In Vivo Imaging of the Retinal Periphery using Conventional Optical Coherence Tomography Systems. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2012;60:235-239.
- Gurdeep Singh, Saravanan VR, Narendran, V, Kalpana, Narendran. Optical Coherence Tomography Findings in Delayed Subretinal Fluid Absorption after Scleral Buckling Surgery. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2009;46:54-55.
- Gurdeep Singh, Kalpana, Narendran, Saravanan VR, Narendran V. Pigmented free-Floating Iris Cysts. Br J Ophthalmol. 2007;91:1037.
- Sathyan P, Myint, K Myint, K, Gurdeep Singh, Mona Sane, Saravanan VR, Dhillon, S. Acute painful Visual Loss from Accelerated Hypertension Choroidopathy. Acta Ophthlmol Scand. 2007;85:337-338.
- Saravanan VR, Gurdeep Singh, Ashwin Bafna, Narendran, V. Locating the Nucleus after Posterior Capsule Rupture. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2007;33:5.
- Saravanan VR, Gurdeep Singh, Sathyan, P, Narendran, V. Management of Posterior Dislocation IOL-CTR-CB Complex. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2006;32:1985-1986.
- Saravanan VR, Gurdeep Singh, Narendran, V, Sathyan, P. Managing the IOL-CTR-CB Complex. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2006;32:1898-1899.
- Myint K, Sahay, R, Mon, S, Saravanan VR, Narendran, V, Dhillon, B. Worm in the Eye: the rationale for treatment of DUSN in South India. Br J Ophthalmol. 2006;90:1125-1127.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Saravanan VR, Raghuram, A, Abhijit Chattopadhyay, Maithreyi Kashyap.Screening for Retinopathy of Prematurity – A Comparison between Binocular Indirect Ophthalmoscopy and RetCam 120. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2006;54:35-38.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Saravanan VR, Raghuram, A, Abhijit Chattopadhyay, Maithreyi Kashyap, Rodney, J Morris, Raghuraman, V, Virna Shah. Fulminate Retinopathy of Prematuriy – Clinical Characteristics and Laser Outcome. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2005;53:261-265.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Saravanan VR, Raghuram, A, Abhijit Chattopadhyay, Maithreyi Kashyap, Sasikumar Devraj. Fulminate Type of Retinopathy of Prematurity. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2004;52:319-320.