“Leadership is not magnetic personality, that can just as well be a glib tongue. It is not making friends and influencing people,’ that is flattery. Leadership is lifting a person’s vision to higher sights, the raising of a person’s performance to a higher standard, the building of a personality beyond its normal limitations.” – Peter F. Drucker
“The most effective way to lead is to lead from within.” – Lolly Daskal
“No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it.” – Andrew Carnegie
About this collaborative
The three decades of LAICO’s experience of working with 350+ eye hospitals and many funding agencies have underscored the importance of leadership in fostering continuous improvement, achieving excellence, and sustainable growth. Yet, the default strategy of most is to focus on “what is doable” as dictated by the current circumstances. This result, at best in incremental changes, often perpetuates the current limitations or shortcomings. The effectiveness of an organization is very dependent on the leadership’s perspectives or mindset, the focus or priority and the capacity to operationalize ideas and strategies. We have seen organizations flourish and fail on this single factor of leadership. This applies to departments also.
Thus, developing the right perspectives to situations and opportunities as well as day-to-day challenges is the important starting point. This dictates strategy, decisions and action. Equally important is the capability to drive action for tangible and desired results. Thus, it is important for those in leadership roles or moving to it, to recognize what is the right thing to do and do it well. Leadership isn’t a time-limited activity, but a proactive and continuous process.To address the above, LAICO has designed a six-month leadership programme that will be offered as LEAP Series on “Leadership Essentials to Lead Effectively”. Existing leadership development programmes offered by management institutes and others, provide generic leadership concepts and practices. It is up to the participants to benefit from it. Hands-on experiential and mentored development is not part of the programme design. Given this reality, there is a need to design and offer a programme that blends leadership concepts and principles with pragmatic application to day-to-day work.
Leadership development is a vast area and very broad-based. In this programme we intentionally intend to run it in a “problem-solving mode” towards running an eye hospital effectively. To be further pragmatic, we define the main determinants of an eye hospital being effective as a hospital:
- that is continually growing and developing on all fronts
- with a committed, motivated, competent, and adequately staffed workforce at all times
- excellence in its work resulting in good clinical outcomes and high levels of patient trust and satisfaction
- is financially stable and sustainable
These are the areas that also tend to be the pain points that most leaders struggle with. This Leadership Series would serve as a platform for the participating leaders to actively reflect on the practices and approaches adopted by the hospital leaders and help:
- Reinforce the right practices done sub-consciously and bring them to the fore
- Recognise the gaps and work on oneself for the change that impacts the self as well as the organisation.
Registration is limited to 10 candidates on a first come first serve basis.
- This programme is designed for the individuals who have a strong personal desire to excel as leaders running an eye hospital (or an eye hospital network).
- Candidates who would like to participate in this programme are expected to commit their time to:
- attend the joint sessions and one-on-one discussions
- work on the issues identified by the individuals
The Leadership Series will focus on three levels, considered essential to become an effective leader.
The leadership series would serve as a platform for the practicing leaders to reflect and identify and work on problem areas to become effective leaders and at the same time learn to develop leadership qualities among the staff.
This programme will be highly engaging and intense which includes:
- Learning sessions every month, with each session running for 2 hours 30 minutes
- One-on-one follow-up on the practice of take-away from the learning sessions
- Monthly review sessions to share and learn from each other’s journey
- One-on-one sessions with a mentor assigned to each participant
The Leadership series will bring together practicing leaders and academic experts to anchor and facilitate the discussions. The learning will be facilitated through case studies, conversations, group discussions among participants and experience sharing by the participants.
India and Nepal: INR 100,000 + 18% GST or
Other Countries: US$ 1400 +18% GST