Dr. Anand Rajendran
Anand Rajendran, FRCS, DNB, is a Professor of Ophthalmology and Head of the Vitreo-Retinal Service at Aravind Eye Hospital, Chennai. He is currently the National Chairman, Scientific Committee of Vitreo-Retinal Society of India (VRSI). He is also the Chief Editor of VRSI National Newsletter.
Dr. Anand Rajendran obtained his medical degree from the Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry. He did his Ophthalmology residency and Retina Fellowship at Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (Glasgow). He has trained at the Bascom-Palmer Eye Institute in Miami; The Doheny Eye Institute, Los Angeles and at the Vitreo-Retina Macula Clinic of New York.
As Chairman of the Scientific committee of VRSI, Dr. Anand was responsible for setting up the Scientific Programme for the VRSI Annual Meet held at Lucknow in 2019 as well as for the Virtual VRSI Meets in 2020 and 2021. He has been on the Scientific Committee responsible for setting up the Scientific Programme for The Annual Meet of the VRSI twice (2015-2016). He has organized a large number of webinars on behalf of VRSI. He is on the Advisory Board of the FAICO Exam for Retina.
Dr.Anand has a particular interest in anti-VEGF therapy, macular diseases, retinal vascular disorders and surgical retina. He has a large number of publications in national and international journals and 7 textbook chapters. He has delivered several didactics, conducted Instruction courses at international and national meets. He is a Reviewer for a number of international and national journals. He has been a Principal Investigator and Co-Investigator for various International Clinical Trials.
He has published several research papers in peer reviewed International Journals and State Journals
List of publications in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Baskaran P, Rajendran A, Sindal M, Lobo S, Jain B. A Novel Do-It-Yourself Anti-fogging Device for Vitreo Retinal Surgeries. Retina. 2021 May 18. [Epub].
- Sheth JU, Gopal L, Gillies M, Khatri M, Kuppermann B, Roy R, Chawla S, Rajendran A, Narayanan R. Vitreoretinal Society of India practice pattern survey 2020: Medical retina. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2021 Jun;69(6):1430-1439.
- Sheth JU, Weng C, Singh R, Khatri M, Saurabh K, Chawla S, Rajendran A, Narayanan R. Vitreoretinal Society of India practice pattern survey 2020: Surgical retina. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2021 Jun;69(6):1442-1449.
- Soundara Pandi SP, Rajendran A, Radha Krishnan S, Anto MJ, Gardiner T, Chakravarthy U, Veerappan M. Characterization of age-related macular degeneration in Indian donor eyes. Indian J Ophthalmol 2021 Mar;69(3):642-646.
- Sheth JU, Stewart MW, Khatri M, Gupta SR, Chawla S, Rajendran A, Narayanan R. Changing trends in the use of anti-vascular endothelial growth factor (anti-VEGF) biosimilars: Insights from the Vitreoretinal Society of India Biosimilars of Anti-VEGF Survey. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2021 Feb;69(2):352-356.
- Govindahari V, Fraser-Bell S, Ayachit AG, Invernizzi A, Nair U, Nair DV, Lupidi M, Singh SR, Rajendran A, Zur D, Gallego-Pinazo R, Marco RD, Cagini C, Cozzi M, Chhablani J. Multicolor imaging in macular telangiectasia-a comparison with fundus autofluorescence. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2020 Aug 17. [Epub]
- Rajendran A, Kumar J. Contractile optic disk and peripheral avascular retina in a case of morning glory disk anomaly. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2020 Apr 1. [Epub]
- Gupta V, Rajendran A, Narayanan R, Chawla S, Kumar A, Palanivelu MS, Muralidhar NS, Jayadev C, Pappuru R, Khatri M, Agarwal M, Aurora A, Bhende P, Bhende M, Bawankule P, Rishi P, Vinekar A, Trehan HS, Biswas J, Agarwal R, Natarajan S, Verma L, Ramasamy K, Giridhar A, Rishi E, Talwar D, Pathangey A, Azad R, Honavar SG. Evolving consensus on managing vitreo-retina and uvea practice in post-COVID-19 pandemic era. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2020;68:962-973.
- Sahoo NK, Singh SR, Anand Rajendran, Shukla D, Chhablani J. Masqueraders of Central Serous Chorioretinopathy. Surv Ophthalmol. 2019;64:30-44.
- MY Vishal, Naresh Babu K, Piyush Kohli, Anand R, Kim R. Retrospective study of changes in ocular coherence tomography characteristics after failed macular hole surgery and outcomes of fluid-gas exchange for persistent macular hole. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2018;66:1130-1135.
- Giridhar A, Jay Sheth, Muna B, Raja Narayanan, Sundaram N, Anand R, George Manayath, Parveen Sen, Rupak Biswas, Alay Banker, Charu Gupta. Polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy: Pearls in diagnosis and management. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2018;66:896-908.
- Anand Rajendran, Pankaja D, Sundaresan P, Saravanan V, Praveen V, Nitsch D, Smeeth L, Chakravarthy U, Ravindran R D, Fletcher A E. Genetic Risk Factors for Late Age-Related Macular Degeneration in India. Br J Ophthalmol. 2018;102:1213-1217.
- Naresh Kumar, Yadev Jayadev Chaitra, Anand Rajendran, Manish Nagpal. Recent Developments in Retinal Lasers and Delivery Systems. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2014;62:50-54.
- Shukla D, Jay Kalliath, Karthik, S, Nithya, N, Anand Rajendran, Naresh, Kannan B, Umesh Chandra Behera. Management of Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment with Coexisting Macular Hole: a comparison of vitrectomy with and without internal limiting membrane peeling. Retina. 2013;33:571-578.
- Zhang K, Harada, Y, Wei, X, Shukla D, Anand Rajendran, Tawansy, K, Bedell, M, Lim, S, Shaw, P X, He, X, Yang, Z. An Essential Role of the Cysteine-Rich Domain of FZD4 in Norrin, WNT Signaling and Familial Exudative Vitreoretinopathy. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:10210-5.
- Namperumalsamy, P, Hejtmancik, J F. Association Analysis of Nine Candidate Gene Polymorphisms in Indian Patients with Type 2 Diabetic Retinopathy. BMC Med. Genet. 2010;11:158.
- Suganthalakshmi B, Sundaresan, P, Anand Rajendran, Kim, R, Govindarajan, G, Anand Rajendran, Gupta, S R, Brahadeesh, S, Kim, R. Intravitreal Bevacizumab for Choroidal Neovascularization Associated with a Retinochoroidal Coloboma. Eye. 2010;24:933-934.
- Shukla D, Bharat Ramchandani, Vignesh, T P, Anand Rajendran, Nithya, N. Localized Serous Retinal Detachment of Macula as a Marker of Malignant Hypertension. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2010:1-7. [Epub]
- Anand Rajendran, Gupta, S R, Brahadeesh, S, Kim, R. Intravitreal Bevacizumab for Choroidal Neovascularization Associated with a Retinochoroidal Coloboma. Eye. 2010;24:933-4.
- Shukla D, Anand Rajendran, Somnath Chakraborthy, Rajkumar Maheshwari. Chronic Retinal Pigment Epithelial Detachments with Unusual Clinical, Angiographic and Tomographic Presentations. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2008;39:491-493.
- Murugeswari P, Shukla D, Anand Rajendren, Kim, R, Namperumalsamy, P, Muthukkaruppan, V R. Proinflammatory Cytokines and Angiogenic and Anti-Angiogenic Factors in Vitreous of Patients With Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy and Eales’ Disease. Retina. 2008;28:817-824.
- Shukla D, Somnath Chakraborty Anand Rajendran. Combined Pharcmacotherapy and Thermotherapy for Chronic Central Serous Chorioretinopathy with Anterior Segment Neovascularisation. Eye. 2008;22:600-602.
- Shukla D, Anand Rajendran, Rajkumar Maheswari, Naresh, Kannan B. Early Closure of Macular Hole Seconary to Rhegmatogenous Retinal Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment with Internal Limiting Membrane Peeling. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2008;39:81-85.
- Fu L, Garland, D, Yang, Z, Shukla D, Anand Rajendran, Pearson, E, Stone, E M, Zhang, K, Pierce, E A.The R345W Mutation in EFEMP1 is Pathogenic and Causes AMD-Like Deposits in Mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2007;16:3411-3422.
- Shukla D, Anand Rajendran, Gibbs, Daniel, Suganthalakshmi B, Zhang, Kang, Sundaresen, P. Unusual Manifestations of X-Linked Retinoschisis: Clinical Profile and Diagnostic Evaluation . Am. J. Ophthalmol. 2007;144:419-423.
- Shukla D, Chandramohan, K, Anand Rajendran, Nitin Deshpande, Kim, R. Evolution and Management of Diabetic Tractional Papillopathy: an optical coherence tomographic study. Eye. 2007;21:569-571.
- Suganthalakshmi B, Anand Rajendran, Shukla D, Kim, R, Nallathambi, J, Sundaresan, P.Genetic variations in the hotspot region of RSI Gene in Indian patients with Juvenile X-Linked retinoschisis. Mol. Vis. 2006;19:611-617.
- Shukla D, Anand Rajendran, Kim, R. Macular Hole Formation and Spontaneous Closure after Vitrectomy for Central Retinal Vein Occlusion. Graefes Arch. Clin. Exp. Ophthalmol. 2006;244:1350-1352.
- Shukla D, Naresh, Kannan B, Anand Rajendran, Kim, R. Macular Hole Secondary to X-Linked Retinoschisis. Eye. 2006;20:1459-1461.
- Nallathambi J, Shukla D, Anand Rajendran, Namperumalsamy, P, Muthulakshmi, R, Sundaresan, P. Identification of Novel FZD4 Mutations in Indian Patients with Familial Exudative Vitreoretinopathy. Mol Vis. 2006;12:1086-1092.
- Suganthalakshmi B, Anand Rajendran, Kim, R, Mahalakshmi, Rajendran, Karthik Prakash, Namperumalsamy, P, Sundaresan, P. Association of VEGF and eNOS Gene Polymorphisms in Type 2 Diabetic Retinopathy. Mol Vis. 2006;12:336-341.
- Suganthalakshmi B, Anand Rajendran, Kim, R, Namperumalsamy, P, Sundaresan, P. Emerging Patterns of Possible Potential Candidate Gene Polymorphisms Associated with Diabetic Retinopathy – A Review. Asian J Exp Sci. 2006;20:15-28.
- Shukla D, Anand Rajendran, Jatinder Singh, Kim, R, Namperumalsamy, P, Cunningham Jr., Emmett T. Atypical Manifestations of Diabetic Retinopathy. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2003;14:371-377.
Dr. Anand authored, “Polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy : Pearls in diagnosis and management.” in the Indian Journal of Ophthalmology that was awarded the AIOS-IJO Gold Award for the year 2017-18.