Dr. Kalpana Narendran
Dr. Kalpana Narendran heads the Department of Cataract & Paediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus since 1997 and she has vast experience and performed more than 2000 paediatric cataract surgery and 3000 squint surgeries so far.
She graduated in medicine from Madurai Medical College, DO and DNB from Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai. She has been awarded with Honorary Doctorate Degree by Vignan University. She has done Observership in India and abroad like Johns Hopkins of Wilmer, Wills Eye Hospital of Philadelphia, Julies Stein Eye Institute of LA, Children Eye Hospital of Boston.
Dr. Kalpana Narendran successfully organized several National & State level conferences including SPOSI during 2006 & 2015, TNOA 2014 and PHACO Excel 2010.
So far Dr. Kalpana has presented 15 international and 30 national journals.
- Sandra, C Ganesh, Kalpana N. Expert Comments on: Are children with low vision adapted to the environment in classrooms of mainstream schools. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2018;66:290.
- Parag K Shah, Meeralakshmi, P, Shanthi, R, Saravanan, V R, Kalpana, Narendran, Narendran, V.Pigmented Ciliary Body Medulloepithelioma in a Newborn Infant. Oman J Ophthalmol.2 017;10:257-258.
- Aung T, Ozaki, M, Lee, M C, Scholtzer-Schrehardt, U, Thorleifsson, G, Mizoguchi, T, Igo Jr., R P, Haripriya, Aravind.Genetic Association Study of Exfoliation Syndrome Identifies a Protective Rare Variatn at LOXL1 and Five New Susceptibility Loci. Nat Genet. 2017;49:993-1004.
- Parag K Shah, Vishma, P, Ranjan, R, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Retinopathy of Prematurity: clinical features, classification, natural history, management and outcome. Indian Pediatr. 2016;53:S117-S122.
- Parag K Shah, Vishma, P, Karandikar, S S, Ranjan, R, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Retinopathy of Prematurity: past, present and future. World J Clin Pediatr.2016;5:35-46
- Parag K Shah, Narendran V, Kalpana N. Safety and Efficacy of Simultaneous Bilateral 25-Gauge Lens-Sparing Vitrectomy for Vascularly Active Stage 4 Retinopathy of Prematurity. Eye. 2015;29:1046-1050.
- Aung, T Ozaki, M, Mizoguchi, T, Allingham R R, Li, Z, Haripriya, Aravind, Nakano, S, Uebe, S, Ramakrishnan, R, Kalpana N, Venkatesh, R, Sundaresan, P.A Common Variant Mapping to CACNA1A is Associated with Susceptibility to Exfoliation Syndrome. Nat Genet. 2015;47:387-392.
- Parag K Shah, Minu, R, Bani Sadat, Sandeep Bachu, Narendran, V, Kalpana N.Long Term Refractive and Structural Outcome following Laser Treatment for Zone 1 Aggressive Posterior Retinopathy of Prematurity. Oman J Ophthalmol. 2014;7:116-119.
- Naresh Kannan B, Parag K Shah, nula System for Retinopathy of Prematurity-Related Lens-Sparing Narendran, V, Kalpana N, Kim, R.An Easy Method to Raise the 25-Gauge Trocar and CanVitrectomy. Retina. 2014;34:1014-1015
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V , Kalpana N. Outcomes of Intra- and Extraocular Retinoblastomas from a Single Institute in South India. Ophthalmic Genet. 2015;36:248-50.
- Parag K Shah, Sandeep Bachu, Narendran, V, Kalpana N, Jeevamala David, Chakravarthi, R Srinivas. Intravitreal Bevacizumab for Incontinentia Pigmenti. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2013;50: e52-e54.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. AggressivePosterior Retinopathy of Prematurity in Large Preterm Babies in South India. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2012;97:F371-375.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Triamcinolone Acetonide-Assisted Vitrectomy for Stage 4 Retinopathy of Prematurity. Int Ophthalmol. 2011;31:237-8.
- Sathiamohanraj SR, Parag K Shah, Senthilkumar, D, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Awareness of Retinopathy of Prematurity among Pediatricians in a Tier Two City of South India. Oman J Ophthalmol. 2011;4:40-41.
- Nitin R, Jain Jethani, Jitendra, Kalpana N, Kanth, L. Synergistic Convergence and Split Pons in Horizontal Gaze Palsy and Progressive Scoliosis in Two Sisters. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2011;59:162-165.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Large Spot Transpupillary Thermotherapy: a quicker laser for treatment of high risk prethreshold retinopathy of prematurity – a randomized study. Indian J Ophthalmol.2011;59:155-158
- Parag K Shah, Kalpana N, Narendran, V, Minu Ramakrishnan. Severe Aseptic Orbital Cellulitis with Subtenon Carboplatin for Intraocular Retinoblastoma. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2011;59:49-51.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran V, Kalpana N. In Vivo Growth of Retinoblastoma in a Newborn Infant. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2010;58:421-423.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V and Kalpana N.Lens-Sparing Pars Plicata Vitrectomy for Stage 4 Retinopathy of Prematurity. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2010;58:255-256.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Aicardi Syndrome: the importance of an ophthalmologist in its diagnosis. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2009;57:234-236.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Appearance and Spontaneous Resolution of Macular Pucker after Triple Freeze-Thaw Cryotherapy for Retinoblastoma. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus.2009; :1-2
- Parag K Shah Narendran, V, Kalpana N, Gilbert, Clare. Severe Retinopathy of Prematurity in Big Babies in India: history repeating itself. Indian Journal of Pediatrics.2009;76:801-804.
- Ajay Yeliathaya, Harish, Sandra, C Ganesh and Kalpana N. Traumatic Superior Oblique Tendon Rupture. J AAPOS.2009;13:485-487.
- Gurdeep Singh, Saravanan, V R, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Optical Coherence Tomography Findings in Delayed Subretinal Fluid Absorption after Scleral Buckling Surgery. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2009;46:54-55.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Kalpana N, Tawansy, K A. Anatomical and Visual Outcome of Stages 4 and 5 Retinopathy of Prematurity. Eye. 2009;23:176-180.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Retinopathy of Prematurity. Pediatric Clin India. 2008;43:151-164.
- Vijayalakshmi P, Amala Rajasundari, T, Noela Marie Prasad, Karthik Prakash, Kalpana N, Meenakshi, R, Muthukkaruppan, V R, Lalitha, Prajna, Brown, David, W G. Prevalence of Eye Signs in Congenital Rubella Syndrome in South India: a role for population screening. Br J Ophthalmol. 2007;91:1467-1470.
- Gurdeep Singh, Kalpana N, Saravanan, V R, Narendran, V. Pigmented free-Floating Iris Cysts. Br J Ophthalmol. 2007;91:1037 .
- Parag K Shah. Intravitreal Bevacizumab in Aggressive Posterior Retinopathy of Prematurity. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2007;55:319-320.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Raghuram, A, Kalpana N. Intravitreal Bevacizumab (Avastin) for Post Laser Anterior Segment Ischemia in Aggressive Posterior Retinopathy of Prematurity. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2007;55:75-76.
- Manikandan P, Bhaskar, M, Revathy, R, John, Rajesh K, Kalpana, Narendran, Narendran, V.Speciation of Coagulase Negative Staphylococcus causing Bacterial Keratitis. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2005;53:59-60.
- Vijayalakshmi P, Anuradha, Rajamanickam, Karthik Prakash, Kalpana, Narendran, Meenakshi, R, Lalitha, Prajna, Brown, David, Robertson, Susan E.Rubella Serosurveys at Three Aravind Eye Hospitals in Tamil Nadu, India. Bull World Health Organ. 2004;82:259-264.
- Balent Linda, Civerchia Kalpana N, Patel, Surekha, Kar, Sumit, Patterson, David A. High Volume Sutureless Intraocular Lens Surgery in a Rural Eye Camp in India. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Imaging. 2001;32:446-455.
Dr. Kalpana has Multi personality skills in the Hospital Administration, and overseas Ophthalmic Consultancy activities. She is the member of various Medical Associations in India and she is the Present President of Coimbatore Society of Ophthalmic Surgeons (CSOS). Apart from all the above activities she involves in publishing many Ophthalmic Medical Books in the field of Ophthalmology.
- Received “Vocational Excellence” Award from Rotary International, Tamil Nadu, India in the year 2010
- “Sake of Honour” award from Rotary Club of Udumalpet , Tamil Nadu, India in the year 2012
- Received “Potrappadum Pengal” award from Lions Club International, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India in the Year 2013
- Received “Best Doctor” award from Dr. M.G.R Medical University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India in the year 2014
- Co-Convener of CII – Indian Women Network (IWN) Tamil Nadu Health & Wellbeing Task Force since 2017
- Former Chief Editor – Journal of Tamil Nadu Ophthalmic Association, Tamil Nadu, India (2013-2015)
- Honorary Doctorate Degree by Vignan University, Vadlamudi, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh , India 2017
- Past president of Coimbatore Society of Ophthalmic Surgeons (CSOS )
- Dr.S.S. Badrinath SOA SN Alumni Medal 2019 at the annual conference of Tamil Nadu Ophthalmic Association held at Salem, Tamil Nadu, India
- Gold Medal at the Annual Conference of Intraocular Implant and Refractive Society of India (IIRSI) 2019 held at New Delhi for her outstanding achievements and selfless dedication towards advancement in the field of ophthalmology