Dr. Kalpana Narendran heads the Department of Cataract & Paediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus since 1997 and she has vast experience and performed more than 2000 paediatric cataract surgery and 3000 squint surgeries so far.
She graduated in medicine from Madurai Medical College, DO and DNB from Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai. She has been awarded with Honorary Doctorate Degree by Vignan University. She has done Observership in India and abroad like Johns Hopkins of Wilmer, Wills Eye Hospital of Philadelphia, Julies Stein Eye Institute of LA, Children Eye Hospital of Boston.
Dr. Kalpana Narendran successfully organized several National & State level conferences including SPOSI during 2006 & 2015, TNOA 2014 and PHACO Excel 2010.
So far Dr. Kalpana has presented 15 international and 30 national journals.
- Balent Linda, Civerchia Kalpana N, Patel, Surekha, Kar, Sumit, Patterson, David A. High Volume Sutureless Intraocular Lens Surgery in a Rural Eye Camp in India. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Imaging. 2001;32:446-455.
- Vijayalakshmi P, Anuradha, Rajamanickam, Karthik Prakash, Kalpana, Narendran, Meenakshi, R, Lalitha, Prajna, Brown, David, Robertson, Susan E.Rubella Serosurveys at Three Aravind Eye Hospitals in Tamil Nadu, India. Bull World Health Organ. 2004;82:259-264.
- Manikandan P, Bhaskar, M, Revathy, R, John, Rajesh K, Kalpana, Narendran, Narendran, V.Speciation of Coagulase Negative Staphylococcus causing Bacterial Keratitis. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2005;53:59-60.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Raghuram, A, Kalpana N. Intravitreal Bevacizumab (Avastin) for Post Laser Anterior Segment Ischemia in Aggressive Posterior Retinopathy of Prematurity. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2007;55:75-76.
- Parag K Shah. Intravitreal Bevacizumab in Aggressive Posterior Retinopathy of Prematurity. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2007;55:319-320.
- Gurdeep Singh, Kalpana N, Saravanan, V R, Narendran, V. Pigmented free-Floating Iris Cysts. Br J Ophthalmol. 2007;91:1037 .
- Vijayalakshmi P, Amala Rajasundari, T, Noela Marie Prasad, Karthik Prakash, Kalpana N, Meenakshi, R, Muthukkaruppan, V R, Lalitha, Prajna, Brown, David, W G. Prevalence of Eye Signs in Congenital Rubella Syndrome in South India: a role for population screening. Br J Ophthalmol. 2007;91:1467-1470.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Retinopathy of Prematurity. Pediatric Clin India. 2008;43:151-164.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Kalpana N, Tawansy, K A. Anatomical and Visual Outcome of Stages 4 and 5 Retinopathy of Prematurity. Eye. 2009;23:176-180.
- Gurdeep Singh, Saravanan, V R, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Optical Coherence Tomography Findings in Delayed Subretinal Fluid Absorption after Scleral Buckling Surgery. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2009;46:54-55.
- Ajay Yeliathaya, Harish, Sandra, C Ganesh and Kalpana N. Traumatic Superior Oblique Tendon Rupture. J AAPOS.2009;13:485-487.
- Parag K Shah Narendran, V, Kalpana N, Gilbert, Clare. Severe Retinopathy of Prematurity in Big Babies in India: history repeating itself. Indian Journal of Pediatrics.2009;76:801-804.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Appearance and Spontaneous Resolution of Macular Pucker after Triple Freeze-Thaw Cryotherapy for Retinoblastoma. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus.2009; :1-2
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Aicardi Syndrome: the importance of an ophthalmologist in its diagnosis. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2009;57:234-236.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V and Kalpana N.Lens-Sparing Pars Plicata Vitrectomy for Stage 4 Retinopathy of Prematurity. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2010;58:255-256.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran V, Kalpana N. In Vivo Growth of Retinoblastoma in a Newborn Infant. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2010;58:421-423.
- Parag K Shah, Kalpana N, Narendran, V, Minu Ramakrishnan. Severe Aseptic Orbital Cellulitis with Subtenon Carboplatin for Intraocular Retinoblastoma. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2011;59:49-51.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Large Spot Transpupillary Thermotherapy: a quicker laser for treatment of high risk prethreshold retinopathy of prematurity – a randomized study. Indian J Ophthalmol.2011;59:155-158
- Nitin R, Jain Jethani, Jitendra, Kalpana N, Kanth, L. Synergistic Convergence and Split Pons in Horizontal Gaze Palsy and Progressive Scoliosis in Two Sisters. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2011;59:162-165.
- Sathiamohanraj SR, Parag K Shah, Senthilkumar, D, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Awareness of Retinopathy of Prematurity among Pediatricians in a Tier Two City of South India. Oman J Ophthalmol. 2011;4:40-41.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Triamcinolone Acetonide-Assisted Vitrectomy for Stage 4 Retinopathy of Prematurity. Int Ophthalmol. 2011;31:237-8.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. AggressivePosterior Retinopathy of Prematurity in Large Preterm Babies in South India. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2012;97:F371-375.
- Parag K Shah, Sandeep Bachu, Narendran, V, Kalpana N, Jeevamala David, Chakravarthi, R Srinivas. Intravitreal Bevacizumab for Incontinentia Pigmenti. J Pediatric Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2013;50: e52-e54.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran, V , Kalpana N. Outcomes of Intra- and Extraocular Retinoblastomas from a Single Institute in South India. Ophthalmic Genet. 2015;36:248-50.
- Naresh Kannan B, Parag K Shah, nula System for Retinopathy of Prematurity-Related Lens-Sparing Narendran, V, Kalpana N, Kim, R.An Easy Method to Raise the 25-Gauge Trocar and CanVitrectomy. Retina. 2014;34:1014-1015
- Parag K Shah, Minu, R, Bani Sadat, Sandeep Bachu, Narendran, V, Kalpana N.Long Term Refractive and Structural Outcome following Laser Treatment for Zone 1 Aggressive Posterior Retinopathy of Prematurity. Oman J Ophthalmol. 2014;7:116-119.
- Aung, T Ozaki, M, Mizoguchi, T, Allingham R R, Li, Z, Haripriya, Aravind, Nakano, S, Uebe, S, Ramakrishnan, R, Kalpana N, Venkatesh, R, Sundaresan, P.A Common Variant Mapping to CACNA1A is Associated with Susceptibility to Exfoliation Syndrome. Nat Genet. 2015;47:387-392.
- Parag K Shah, Narendran V, Kalpana N. Safety and Efficacy of Simultaneous Bilateral 25-Gauge Lens-Sparing Vitrectomy for Vascularly Active Stage 4 Retinopathy of Prematurity. Eye. 2015;29:1046-1050.
- Parag K Shah, Vishma, P, Karandikar, S S, Ranjan, R, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Retinopathy of Prematurity: past, present and future. World J Clin Pediatr.2016;5:35-46
- Parag K Shah, Vishma, P, Ranjan, R, Narendran, V, Kalpana N. Retinopathy of Prematurity: clinical features, classification, natural history, management and outcome. Indian Pediatr. 2016;53:S117-S122.
- Aung T, Ozaki, M, Lee, M C, Scholtzer-Schrehardt, U, Thorleifsson, G, Mizoguchi, T, Igo Jr., R P, Haripriya, Aravind.Genetic Association Study of Exfoliation Syndrome Identifies a Protective Rare Variatn at LOXL1 and Five New Susceptibility Loci. Nat Genet. 2017;49:993-1004.
- Parag K Shah, Meeralakshmi, P, Shanthi, R, Saravanan, V R, Kalpana, Narendran, Narendran, V.Pigmented Ciliary Body Medulloepithelioma in a Newborn Infant. Oman J Ophthalmol.2 017;10:257-258.
- Sandra, C Ganesh, Kalpana N. Expert Comments on: Are children with low vision adapted to the environment in classrooms of mainstream schools. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2018;66:290.
Dr. Kalpana has Multi personality skills in the Hospital Administration, and overseas Ophthalmic Consultancy activities. She is the member of various Medical Associations in India and she is the Present President of Coimbatore Society of Ophthalmic Surgeons (CSOS). Apart from all the above activities she involves in publishing many Ophthalmic Medical Books in the field of Ophthalmology.
For her dedicative services, Dr. Kalpana received numerous awards like “Sake of Honour” award from Rotary Club, “PotraPadum Pengal Award” by the Lions Club, “Vocational Excellence” Award from Rotary International, “Best Doctor” Award from the Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai.