Dr. Prabu Baskaran
Dr. Prabu Baskaran graduated in medicine from Madras Medical College in 2002 and went on to pursue his Masters in Ophthalmology under the same institution from the Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Egmore, Chennai in 2008. He was awarded the Diplomate of National Board of Examination, New Delhi in 2011. He completed fellowship in Surgical Retina and Vitreous from Aravind Eye Hospital, Pondicherry in 2014. Since then, he has been working with Aravind Eye Hospital as Medical Consultant, Vitreo-Retina services.
Dr. Prabu is a member of All India Ophthalmological Society, Tamil Nadu Ophthalmic association and Vitreo-Retina Society of India. Apart from his work at the Aravind Eye Hospitals, he has worked with an international NGO, Tulsi Chanrai Foundation in Birnin Kebbi, Nigeria from 2008 to 2011 towards elimination of cataract blindness in the remote sub-Saharan parts of Nigeria.
Dr. Prabu’s areas of interest are innovations in vitreo-retinal surgery and scleral fixation intraocular lens surgery (SFIOL) for complicated cataracts and aphakia. He has innovated XNIT, a new, award-winning technique for SFIOL surgery. He is actively involved in the training of post-graduate and fellowship students in ophthalmology as well as mid-level ophthalmic personnel.
Dr. Prabu has avid interest in research, especially in the field of Retina and ophthalmic innovations. He is a reviewer for IJO, TJOSR and International Journal of Opthalmology. He has more than 40 peer reviewed national, international and regional publications to his credit.
- Baskaran P, Rajendran A, Sindal M, Lobo S, Jain B. A Novel Do-It-Yourself Anti-fogging Device for Vitreo Retinal Surgeries. Retina. 2021 Sep 1;41(9):2004-2006.
- Baskaran P, Venkatesh R, Ramakrishnan S, Sriram RD, Iyer G, Ramnath RK. A novel device for safe exteriorization of haptic in scleral fixation intraocular lens surgery. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2020 Oct;68(10):2205-2207.
- Prabu B. Commentary: Macular hole area index – Is it a research index or clinical index? Indian J Ophthalmol. 2019 Nov;67(11):1863.
- Prabu B, Bhandari S, Madanagopalan VG. Posterior Vitrectorhexis: A Surgical Modification for Intraocular Foreign Body Removal through Limbal Route. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2019 Fall;13(4):361-363
- Madanagopalan VG, Karan Shah, Nagesha CK, Prabu B. Peripheral retinal avascularity and capillary leakage in central serous chorioretinopathy. J Curr Ophthalmol. 2019 Jun 30;31(2):220-224.
- Sengupta S, Sindal MD, Prabu B, Utsab P, Venkatesh Sensitivity and Specificity of Smartphone-Based Retinal Imaging for Diabetic Retinopathy: A Comparative Study. Ophthalmol Retina. 2019 Feb;3(2):146-153.
- Seema R, Mandlik K, Sathe TS, Joseph G, Tiruvengada Krishnan, Prabu B. Ocular infections caused by Scedosporium apiospermum: A case series. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2018 Jan;66(1):137-140.
- Nagesha CK, Prabu B, Pankaja D. Inverted macular hole edges following an inverted internal limiting membrane transplantation surgery for large macular hole. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2018 Feb;66(2):293-294.
- Seema R, Prabu B, Arti Jain. Traumatic expulsion of intact iris in toto. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2018 Sep;66(9):1329.
- Pavan Kumar G, Palaniswamy K, Manas Nath, Prabu B, Janani M, Venkatesh R. Can preoperative anterior segment optical coherence tomography predict posterior capsule rupture during phacoemulsification in patients with posterior polar cataract? J Cataract Refract Surg.2018 Dec;44(12):1441-1445.
- Pratyusha G, Nagesha CK, Prabu B, Sulaiman SM, Venkatesh R. Retinal Laser and Photography practice Eye Model: A Cost-Effective Innovation to Improve Training through Simulation. Retina. 2018 Jan;38(1):207-210.
- Prabu B, Sindal MD, Dhoble P, Seema R, Venkatesh R, Ramulu P. Acute angle closure glaucoma secondary to polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy – a devastating complication. GMS Ophthalmol Cases. 2017 Jan 5;7:Doc01.
- Ozdek S, Prabu B, Karabas L, Neves PP. A Modified Perfluoro-n-octane-ssisted Autologous Internal Limiting Membrane Transplant for Failed Macular Hole Reintervention: A Case Series. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina.2017 May 1;48(5):416-420.
- Vasavada D, Prabu B, Seema R. Retinal Vascular Occlusion Secondary to Retrobulbar Injection: Case Report and Literature Review. Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol. 2017 Jan-Mar;24(1):57-60.
- Prabu B, Pratyusha G, Bhandari S, Seema R, Venkatesh R, Gireesh P. Extraocular needle- guided haptic insertion technique of scleral fixation intraocular lens surgeries (X-NIT). Indian J Ophthalmol. 2017 Aug;65(8):747-750.
- Prabu Baskaran, Dhananjay Shukla, Parag Shah. Optical Coherence Tomography and Fundus Autofluorescence findings in Presumed Congenital Simple Retinal Pigment Epithelium Hamartoma. GMS Ophthalmol Cases. 2017;7:Doc27.
- Prabu B, Utsab P. Macular hole secondary to polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol. 2017;24:159-61
- Prabu B, Pratyusha G, Nagesha CK. Perfluoro-n-octane mimicking an intraocular foreign body. GMS Ophthalmol Cases 2017; 7:Doc30.
Non-Peer Reviewed Journals
- Baskaran P, Anthony E. Commentary: Multimodal imaging of relentless placoid chorioretinitis. Indian J Ophthalmol Case Rep. 2021 Oct-Dec;1(4):678-679
- Baskaran P, Madhanagopalan V G, Ramakrishnan S. A modified air-assisted silicone oil removal from the anterior chamber. Oman J Ophthalmol. 2020 Sep-Oct;13(3):173-175.
- Baskaran P, Rangarajan A, Ramakrishnan S, Gadok SS. Maintenance and management of an ophthalmic operation theater in sub-Saharan Nigeria. TNOA J Ophthalmic Sci Res. 2019 Oct-Dec;57(4):294-302.
- Prabu B. How to use pubmed to your advantage? TNOA J Ophthalmic Sci Res. 2019 Apr-Jun;57(2):178-179.
- Madanagopalan VG, Sen P, Prabu B. Scleral-fixated intraocular lenses. TNOA J Ophthalmic Sci Res. 2018;56:237-43.
- Prabu B, Nagesha CK, Pratyusha Ganne. Foveal simple hamartoma of retinal pigment epithelium. TNOA J Ophthalmic Sci Res. 2018;56:249-50
- Prabu B, Seema R, Pratyusha Ganne, Nagesha CK, Venkatesh R. Combined penetrating keratoplasty with extraocular needle-guided haptic insertion technique. TNOA J Ophthalmic Sci Res. 2018;56:251-3.
- Pratyusha Ganne, Nagesha C Krishnappa, Prabu B, Seema R. Ocular Injuries caused by Hens. EC Ophthalmol. 2018;9(5):343-347.
- Prabu, B Seema, R; Pankaja, D; Joseph, G. Traumatic Endophthalmitis following a Crane Pecking Injury – An Unusual Mode. GMS Ophthalmol Cases. 2016;6:Doc01.
- Project Incharge: ACT ROP programme for Retinopathy of Prematurity, AEH Chennai
- Member Secretary, Institutional Ethics Committee, AEH Chennai
- DNB PG training programme co-ordinator, AEH Chennai
- Editorial Board Member, Indian Journal of Ophthalmology
- Editorial Board Member, TJOSR
- Reviewer for IJO,TJOSR, International Journal of Opthhalmology
- Organising Secretary, AIOS-PG Refresher Course 2018
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) 2017 film festival award for Extraocular needle guided haptic insertion technique (X-NIT) of SFIOL
- Aravind Inspiring Innovators Award – 2021, Suture guided haptic fixation technique
- IJO reviewer award – 2021