Dr. Seema Ramakrishnan graduated in medicine from the Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College and General Hospital (Sion Hospital), Mumbai in 2003. She completed her post-graduate diploma in ophthalmology under the TN Dr. MGR Medical University from the Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Egmore and Madras Medical College, Chennai in 2008 and went ahead to pursue the Diplomate of National Board (DNB) post-graduate course from Aravind Eye Hospital, Pondicherry in 2011. She was also awarded Fellowship of International Council of Ophthalmology, London in 2011. She completed fellowship in Cornea and anterior segment microsurgery in 2013 from Aravind Eye Hospital, Pondicherry. Since 2014, she has been working with Aravind Eye Hospital as Medical Consultant, Cornea and Refractive Surgery services.
Dr. Seema is a member of the All India Ophthalmological Society and the Tamil Nadu Ophthalmic association. Apart from her work at the Aravind Eye Hospitals, she has worked with the Ministry of Health in Birnin Kebbi, Nigeria towards elimination of cataract blindness and with Manishankar Eye Hospital at Nashik, Mahrashtra.
Dr. Seema is a high volume cataract surgeon as well as a corneal transplant, LASIK and refractive surgeon. She has keen interest in lamellar corneal surgery (DMEK, DSEK and DALK), advanced refractive surgery and ophthalmic surgical training. She is actively involved in the training of post-graduate and fellowship students in ophthalmology as well as mid-level ophthalmic personnel.
Dr. Seema has 21 peer-reviewed publications and is a reviewer for the Indian Journal of Ophthalmology.
- Ramakrishnan S, Devarajan S, Srinivasan M, Karunakaran V. Supra-Descemetic Venting Incision in the Management of Spontaneous Descemet Membrane Detachment in an Old Penetrating Keratoplasty Graft. Cornea. 2021 Jul 1;40(7):921-925.
- Baskaran P, Venkatesh R, Ramakrishnan S, Sriram RD, Iyer G, Ramnath RK. A novel device for safe exteriorization of haptic in scleral fixation intraocular lens surgery. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2020 Oct;68(10):2205-2207.
- Pickel J, Narayana S, Krishnan T, Ramakrishnan S, Samantaray PP, Porco TC, Redd T, Lietman TM, Rose-Nussbaumer J. The Prognostic Value of Persistent Culture Positivity in Fungal Keratitis in the Mycotic Antimicrobial Localized Injection Trial. Am J Ophthalmol. 2020 Jul;215:1-7.
- Shivananda N, Tiruvengada Krishnan, Seema R, Samantaray PP, Austin A, Pickel J, Porco T, Lietman T, Rose-Nussbaumer J. Mycotic Antimicrobial Localized Injection: A Randomized Clinical Trial Evaluating Intrastromal Injection of Voriconazole. Ophthalmology. 2019 Aug;126(8):1084-1089.
- Seema R, Prabu B, Arti Jain. Traumatic expulsion of intact iris in toto. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2018 Sep;66(9):1329.
- Seema R, Mandlik K, Sathe TS, Joseph G, Tiruvengada Krishnan, Prabu B. Ocular infections caused by Scedosporium apiospermum: A case series. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2018 Jan;66(1):137-140.
- Odayappan A, Shivananda N, Seema R, Tiruvengada Krishnan, Sivagami N, Smitha K. A retrospective study on the incidence of post-cataract surgery Descemet’s membrane detachment and outcome of air descemetopexy. Br J Ophthalmol. 2018 Feb;102(2):182-186.
- Prabu B, Pratyusha G, Bhandari S, Seema R, Venkatesh R, Gireesh P. Extraocular needle- guided haptic insertion technique of scleral fixation intraocular lens surgeries (X-NIT). Indian J Ophthalmol. 2017 Aug;65(8):747-750.
- Vasavada D, Prabu B, Seema R. Retinal Vascular Occlusion Secondary to Retrobulbar Injection: Case Report and Literature Review. Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol. 2017 Jan-Mar;24(1):57-60.
Non-Peer Reviewed Journals
- Baskaran P, Madhanagopalan V G, Ramakrishnan S. A modified air-assisted silicone oil removal from the anterior chamber. Oman J Ophthalmol. 2020 Sep-Oct;13(3):173-175
- Baskaran P, Rangarajan A, Ramakrishnan S, Gadok SS. Maintenance and management of an ophthalmic operation theater in sub-Saharan Nigeria. TNOA J Ophthalmic Sci Res. 2019 Oct-Dec;57(4):294-302.
- Prabu B, Seema R, Pratyusha Ganne, Nagesha CK, Venkatesh R. Combined penetrating keratoplasty with extraocular needle-guided haptic insertion technique. TNOA J Ophthalmic Sci Res. 2018;56:251-3.
- Pratyusha Ganne, Nagesha C Krishnappa, Prabu B, Seema R. Ocular Injuries caused by Hens. EC Ophthalmol. 2018;9(5):343-347.
- Prabu B, Sindal MD, Dhoble P, Seema R, Venkatesh R, Ramulu P. Acute angle closure glaucoma secondary to polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy – a devastating complication. GMS Ophthalmol Cases. 2017 Jan 5;7:Doc01.
- Thiruvengada Krishnan ; Seema, R.Open Globe Injuries.TNOA.2014;52:389-396.
- Baskaran Prabu, Rangarajan Ashok, Ramakrishnan Seema, Gadok Sudeep Singh. Maintenance and Management of an ophthalmic operation theater in sub-Saharan Nigeria. TJOSR 2019; 57(4):299-307
- Baskaran Prabu, Ramakrishnan Seema, Ganne Pratyusha, Krishnappa Nagesha Chokahalli, Venkatesh Rengaraj. Combined penetrating keratoplasty with extraocular needle-guided haptic insertion technique. TJOSR 2018; 56(4):251-253
- Tiruvengadakrishnan K, Ramakrishnan S. Open Globe Injuries. Journal of Tamil Nadu Ophthalmic Association 2014 Aug;52(3):389-96
- Sivathanu, Seema R, Eashwar Raj B, Asokan K. Choroidal rupture of unidentified aetiology. Residents’ J Ophthalmol 2006: 01 (01) : 76 – 78.
- Seema R, Rohini K, Chitra M, Vasantha K. Piggyback intraocular lens implantation in nanophthalmos. Residents’ J Ophthalmol 2007;02(01):55-58.
- NABH Team in-charge for Ward department at Aravind-Chennai
- Co-lead of Central team for Ward safety at Aravind Eye Care System
- In-charge of Contact Lens clinic at Aravind- Chennai
- Training of fellows in Cornea and refractive surgery and Cataract surgery
- Training of post-graduate students in Ophthalmology
- Best free paper in Cornea: TNOA conference Salem 2019 : A piggyback solution for a piggyback problem
- Best free paper in Comprehensive Cataract Conference 2017: Outcomes of air decsemetopexy for DMD post cataract surgery
- JAM award winner: TNOA conference Erode 2017
- Beiko grant 2015: Best presentation of Aravind Eye Care System, nominated to attend the ASCRS meeting 2016 at New Orleans, USA
- Best Video presentation at Cataract Catalyst 2015 conference by Sankara Nethralaya for “Vacuum-assissted Whole-globe holder: A simple, cost-effective and novel device for wet lab training.”
- Best Clinical Presentation-2007, Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Chennai
- Distinction in ENT during MBBS at LTMMC, Mumbai