What will you learn?
- 1st week: Observing SICS
- 2nd week: SICS step surgery under the supervision
- 3rd & 4th week: Perform surgeries completely and independently.
- In the afternoon session, trainees can get practice in wet lab on human donor/animal eye/simulator
This course is open to all practicing ophthalmologists.
Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai
Aravind Eye Hospital, Tirunelveli
Aravind Eye Hospital, Coimbatore
Aravind Eye Hospital, Pondicherry
- Candidates should have 3 years’ experience in Ophthalmology after completing MS or DOMS in Ophthalmology
- Candidates from other developing countries are also eligible, subject to fulfilling the procedural formalities of National Medical Commission
- The candidates will need to apply in the prescribed application form and will be admitted after scrutinizing their credentials and certificates.
- This course was started to train Ophthalmologists in manual SICS.
- For ophthalmic surgeons all over the world, manual SICS provides the ideal stepping stone to mastering phacoemulsification.
Where to stay?
Accommodation and Food:
Inspiration – Aravind international trainee’s hostel is a comfortable and quiet place located close to the LAICO and Aravind Eye Hospital campus. Please see the brochure for Tariff details.
Accommodation facilities with catering services are available within the campus at all Aravind Centres. Types of facilities differ with each centre. Please contact the training coordinator for more information.
How to pay?
Course fee covers tuition fee and teaching materials. National candidates can pay online on receipt of invoice along with the confirmation / appointment letter. International candidates can pay through wire transfer; the account details along with the payment procedure will be emailed to you by the course coordinator on confirmation of your admission.
Campus life at Aravind:
We recommend that all trainees take a look at Vanakkam – as guidebook to Southern India and Aravind. As you prepare for your travel to India and to the Aravind destinations, ‘Vanakkam’ will provide you with detailed information on what to expect when you arrive. This includes travel arrangements, dress code, living conditions, local weather and local food, as well as information on sightseeing and restaurants in the cities where the Aravind facilities are located.
For International Candidates:
A Visa is necessary to travel to India. As your visit to India is for undergoing training, you must obtain student /entry / internship visa (based on the duration of your training). It is advisable to get visa for the entire training period even before arriving in India. Extension of visa while undergoing training is not possible. Tourist visa is strictly prohibited.
Approval from National Medical Commission (NMC):
It is mandatory to obtain temporary medical license from NMC for all provisionally selected international ophthalmologists to undergo surgical training in India. NMC application process is through online portal and the approval process will be taken by the institute after getting necessary information and documents from the participants. Final selection is subject to fulfilling the procedural formalities of NMC. Please see https://www.nmc.org.in/ to get detailed information or through course coordinator.
On arrival at Aravind:
The FRRO (Foreigners Regional Registration Office) registration formalities will be done as per the instructions given on your visa page. For registration purpose, the participant should have their four passport size colour photographs (4×4 cm with white background, ears distinctly visible without spectacles and cap). If required, documents should be presented to the local police commissioner office in person. Please refer registration guidelines for more details.