What will you learn?
- At the end of second week, the candidate will acquire adequate knowledge about how a glaucoma case is being worked up with necessary investigations.
- At the end of fourth week, the candidate will be confident in the full workup of glaucoma patient
- The trainee will also be comfortable in the use of all instruments used in the clinic
This course is open to all practicing ophthalmologists.
Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai
Aravind Eye Hospital, Tirunelveli
Aravind Eye Hospital, Coimbatore
Aravind Eye Hospital, Pondicherry
- The candidates should have completed MS/DNB
- Candidates from other developing countries are also eligible.
- The candidates will need to apply in the prescribed application form and will be admitted after scrutinizing their credentials and certificates.
- In undergraduate and ophthalmology residency programs, due to the wide variety of subjects to be covered, extensive training in diagnosis and therapy of glaucoma has not been possible.
- With the advent of computerised visual field analysis, it is imperative to train practising ophthalmologists in their interpretation and application in clinical practice. In addition, critical evaluation of the optic disc and retinal nerve fibre layer are gaining significance in glaucoma.
- The training helps the doctor to diagnose glaucoma and treat before loss of productive and useful visual function.
- Aravind Eye Hospital has well-trained faculty in its Glaucoma service. The organisation runs a long-term fellowship program in glaucoma for 24 months.
Where to stay?
Accommodation and Food:
Inspiration – Aravind international trainee’s hostel is a comfortable and quiet place located close to the LAICO and Aravind Eye Hospital campus. Please see the brochure for Tariff details.
Accommodation facilities with catering services are available within the campus at all Aravind centres. Types of facilities differ with each centre. Please contact the training coordinator for more information.
How to pay?
Course fee covers tuition fee and teaching materials. National candidates can pay online on receipt of invoice along with the confirmation / appointment letter. International candidates can pay through wire transfer; the account details along with the payment procedure will be emailed to you by the course coordinator on confirmation of your admission.
Campus life at Aravind:
We recommend that all trainees take a look at Vanakkam – as guidebook to Southern India and Aravind. As you prepare for your travel to India and to the Aravind destinations, ‘Vanakkam’ will provide you with detailed information on what to expect when you arrive. This includes travel arrangements, dress code, living conditions, local weather and local food, as well as information on sightseeing and restaurants in the cities where the Aravind facilities are located.
For International Candidates:
A Visa is necessary to travel to India. As your visit to India is for undergoing training, you must obtain student /entry / internship visa (based on the duration of your training). It is advisable to get visa for the entire training period even before arriving in India. Extension of visa while undergoing training is not possible. Tourist visa is strictly prohibited.
On arrival at Aravind:
The FRRO (Foreigners Regional Registration Office) registration formalities will be done as per the instructions given on your visa page. For registration purpose, the participant should have their four passport size colour photographs (4×4 cm with white background, ears distinctly visible without spectacles and cap). If required, documents should be presented to the local police commissioner office in person. Please refer registration guidelines for more details.